Obst. & Gynaecology
During the study period 6 monthly assessment reports is to be forwarded by guide
through HOD & Dean to MUHS about the observed progress. Student should not allow to
appear for examination if found not satisfactory by local academic committee.
1. Basic sciences
a. Applied Anatomy in females of genito urinary system, abdomen, pelvis,
pelvic floor, anterior abdominal wall and breast.
b. Anatomy of fetus.
c. Fundamentals of reproduction Gametogensis fertilization, implantation &
early development of human embryo. Placenta - development, structure,
functions Amniotic fluid - formation and function fetal growth &
development, fetal physiology Birth defects, Genetics & teratology &
counseling. Physiological changes during pregnancy, labour and puerperium
Endocrinology of pregnancy. Lactation Immunology of pregnancy Molecular
1. Normal pregnancy, labour & puerperium. Breast-feeding - baby friendly initiative.
2. Early recognition and prompt management of pregnancy complications,
Hyperemesis gravidarum, abortions, ectopic pregnancy hydatidiform mole, Pre
eclampsia, eclampsia, Pathophysiology of PIH, Antepartum hemorrhage, multiple
pregnancy, polyhydramnios, Oligohydramnios &Prolonged pregnancy.
4. Management of pregnancies complicated by medical, surgical or gynaecological
diseases, in consultation with the concerned specialities by team approach.
• Anemia, Heart disease, diabetes mellitus, liver disorders, Respiratory
diseases, Renal diseases, CNS disorder, Skin, Psychiatry Hypertensive
• Acute abdomen, Acute Appendicitis, Intestinal obstruction, perforations.
• Fibroids, Ovarian tumors, Carcinoma cervix, genital prolapse.
• Recent advances in medical and surgical management.
5. Infections in pregnancy. Malaria, Toxoplasmosis, viral infections (Rubella, CMV,
Hepatitis B, Herpes) syphilis and other sexually transmitted infections including HIV,
Leptospirosis. Parents to child transmission of HIV infection. (PPTCT).
6. Evaluation of the fetal and maternal health in complicated pregnancy by making use
of available diagnostic modalities and plan for safe delivery of the fetus while
safeguarding the maternal health. Identification of fetus at risk and management.
High-risk pregnancy - Post caesarean pregnancy, prolonged gestation, preterm
labour, fetal growth restriction, premature rupture of membranes, blood group
incompatibility, recurrent pregnancy wastages. Imaging techniques, CTG.
7. Prenatal diagnosis of fetal abnormalities and appropriate care. Fetal therapy. PNDT
Act and its implications.
8. Partographic monitoring of labour progress, early recognition of dysfunctional
labour and appropriate interventions during labour including active management of
9. Obstetrical analgesia and anesthesia.
10. Induction and augmentation of labour.
11. Management of abnormal labour: Abnormal pelvis, soft tissue abnormalities in birth
passage, Malpresentation and malpositions of fetus, abnormal uterine action,
obstructed labour and cervical dystocia. Third stage complications - PPH including
surgical management, retained placenta, uterine inversion, post partum collapse,
amniotic fluid embolism.
12. Abnormal puerperium, Puerperal sepsis Thrombophlebitis, Mastitis, Puerperal
venous sinus thrombosis, Psychosis.
13. National Health Programmes to improve the maternal and child health, social
obstetrics and vital statistics. (Maternal and Perinatal mortality).
14. Drugs used in obstetric practice including prostaglandins. FDA Classification.
15. Coagulation disorders in obstetrics, Blood and component therapy.
16. Operative obstetrics - decision-making, technique, recognition and management of
complications - C.S. instrumental delivery, obstetrics hysterectomy, role of
destructive surgery. Manipulations-version, MRP etc. Forceps, Vaccum, Internal iliac
17. Intensive care in obstetrics for critically ill patient. Fluid and electrolyte balance,
volume status maintenance, protecting vital organ function.
18. Provision of safe abortion services - selection of case, techniques, and management
of complications. Septic abortion, Criminal abortion, MTP Act Adoption laws.